now loading...
Wealth Asia Connect Middle East Treasury & Capital Markets Europe ESG Forum TechTalk

Asia Connect
Toyota opens assembly plant in Cambodia
Factory will produce Hilux pickup trucks and Fortuner SUVs for domestic market
Tom King 7 May 2024

Japanese automotive giant Toyota has put into operation its new assembly plant at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone in Cambodia, where it has started producing Hilux pickup trucks and Fortuner SUVs.

The factory is operated by Toyota Tsusho, whose main business is supporting Toyota Motor's global vehicle business across the industrial, commercial, and consumer sectors. 

With a total investment capital of nearly US$37 million, the assembly plant employs 150 people and is geared to assemble 1,320 cars (1,030 Hilux Pickups and 290 Fortuner SUVs) in 2024. The vehicles will be sold in Cambodia’s domestic market.

Toyota Tsusho Manufacturing (Cambodia) Co is 90% owned by Toyota Tsusho, with local Cambodian partner Kong Nuon Group holding the remaining 10%.

“The start of assembly production marks a new milestone in the more than 30 years of Toyota Tsusho's history in Cambodia,” says Toyota Tsusho chief executive officer Ichiro Kashitani.

“Through the promotion of the vehicle assembly production business, the Toyota Tsusho Group will be more deeply involved in the mobility value chain, job creation, and human resources development in Cambodia and contribute to the country's economy and social development through the development of the mobility industry.”

Conversation
Anand Rengarajan
Anand Rengarajan
global head of sales & head of Asia Pacific, securities services
Deutsche Bank
- JOINED THE EVENT -
Asset Servicing Leadership Series
How digital assets are transforming Asia's investment landscape
View Highlights
Conversation
Boon-Hiong Chan
Boon-Hiong Chan
head of fund services and head of securities market and technology advocacy
Deutsche Bank
- JOINED THE EVENT -
Asset Servicing Leadership Series
How digital assets are transforming Asia's investment landscape
View Highlights